First, I must get Gephi installed in my MacBook. It’s very easy to install it in Windows OS but for apple OS, this process was full of pain. It took me almost 7 hours to troubleshoot all problems. Finally, I won. I followed these two posts and tried all potential ways. If you got the same issue, the only thing you can do is either giving up or keeping yourself cool and try all these tips shown in the two posts.
Then, I downloaded my personal friends network out of Facebook on NetGet Application and it was used to save my friends’ network in a GML File. In this process, you’d better use Google Chrome to download the gml file. Safari is not professional. When I used Safari to save the file, it was automatically saved as a txt file, which can’t be opened in Gephi. For groups or pages, we can get data from Facebook apps – netvizz.
Now, I can start playing with Gephi!
1. open gml file in Gephi. The network is shown as a grey meaningless graph.
2. layout – force atlas or force atlas 2 – you could try different parameters to adjust the layout
here is my choice:
3. go to statistics/ run avg. path length – go to ranking/nodes/apply betweenness centrality, try different parameters on min/max size and color
4. go to statistics/ run modularity – go to partition/apply modularity class
5. if you wanna show names in the graph, you can click “show nodes labels” in Graph window, and use “label adjust” in Layout.
6. file- export your graph
save your project
Well done! 🙂